Since this thread has gone viral, I’ve received a request to do this in a full post. Glad to do it. Kathleen Kennedy claimed women didn’t have enough experience to do a Star Wars movie. Here’s an incomplete list of men whose experience was a bit lacking yet got the keys to the kingdom. I’m not saying the films are good or bad. Just that there’s a double standard.
- Jordan Vogt-Roberts. Went from The Kings of Summer, a flop even by Sundance standards, to Kong: Skull Island .
- Gareth Edwards went from the low budget MOnsters to Godzilla.
- Colin Trevorrow: From Safety Not Guaranteed, a low budget comedy, to Jurassic World.
- Cedric Nicolas-Troyan: Special effects worker with no experience as a director to Huntsman: Winter’s War
- Robert Stromberg: Another technician without any directing experience to Maleficent
- Josh Trank: The low budget Chronicle to Fantastic 4.
- Mark Steven Johnson: The non-action Simon Birch to the action heavy Daredevil
- James Gunn: Two fairly small films to Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Jon Watts: A few very low budget films to Spider-Man: Homecoming.
- Alan Taylor: A few low budget films and tv to Thor: The Dark World.
- The Russo Brothers: Two movies, both comedies, to Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- Joseph Kosinski: Effects to Tron: Legacy.
- Rupert Wyatt: One indie film to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
- Rupert Holmes: Short films to Snow White and the Huntsman.
- Carl Rinsch: Shorts to 47 Ronin.
This is a small list. Just a sample. But I’m going to keep updating this. Make it a database of privilege.